Sonntag, 4. Januar 2015

TOP 10 ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2015

 Hello there puny humans,
although 2014 was an amazing year for movie geeks, it is pretty likely that in 2015 your head will explode, due to all the awesomeness coming our way. We have a mind-blowing set of blockbusters that'll be released and with this list I want to tell you what films to look out for. It was incredibly tough, and so firstly, I have two honorable mentions to make: James Bond 007 - Spectre and Ant-Man. Both films are probably going to be great, the first one coming hot of Skyfall and the second one being yet another Marvel Studios movie. I was truly surprised they didn't make the cut, but apparently there are ten films I am more excited for this year:

10. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5
Tom Cruise is a controversial guy, but when it comes to making movies he has never made a film that you could truly consider "bad". Mission:Impossible - Ghost Protocol was tons of fun and showed me how much I love the franchise. While the Bond movies had to distance themselves from the funny gadgets to be able to be taken serious again, the M:I films have always managed to keep their "creative" technology in the mix without going full on silly. With the writer of Edge of Tomorrow and The Usual Suspects in the director's chair, I have very high hopes for this new installment.

9. THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 2
In my review of Mockingjay Part 1 I basically said that the film was a little underwhelming, nonetheless, that is also pretty much the reason why I am very excited for Part 2. Having read the books, I know that all the action they held back in the first half of this finale will be filling the time of the resultingly much more epic second film. So far, I really liked the series as a whole and I am looking forward to its big conclusion. All the people who missed the games in the last movie will be served the deadliest game of the franchise yet: the revolutionary war! 

8. THE HATEFUL EIGHT
Quentin Tarantino with another revenge themed western? Well, count me in! Landing (very fittingly) on my number eight spot is the project that almost hadn't been made. After an early draft of the script was leaked, a slightly pissed-off Tarantino declared it would now never be put into film. Maybe someone convinced him or the script was just too good to resist, but the film starring the likes of Samuel L. Jackson and Channing Tatum will be coming to the big screen after all. The title and poster are already bad-ass, and I trust Tarantino to entertain me once more with this flick!

 7. EX MACHINA
 I was already working on this list, when suddenly this film came to my mind. While it hasn't gotten a lot of media attention, I was super pumped for it after rewatching its trailer. Written and directed by the guy who conceived the screenplays of films like the fan favourites 28 Days Later and Dredd, as well as one of my favourite sci-fi films, Sunshine, I am pretty sure it'll amaze me. Oscar Isaac, Domnhall Gleeson (both of which are also staring in Star Wars Episode VII) and Alicia Vikander in the role of an artificial intelligence are basically the only people in the cast. As a fan of that sort of story telling and the sci-fi genre in general, this film simply had to make the list.

6. WHIPLASH
This movie wasn't really on my radar until it came out in the U.S. in early October. Critics of all kinds praised this film for its intensity and the performances of its actors Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons. I already got what they were talking about just by looking at the trailer: Although fictional, this story of a talented young drummer who is tormented by his mentor who wants to "realize his full potential" feels extremely real. Now landing in tons of Top 10 lists of 2014, I just couldn't keep it out of mine, and I really can't wait untill its finally released over here. 

5. BIRDMAN
Just like Whiplash, this film has already been released in the States and gained nothing but positive reviews since then. Starring Michael Keaton (who was literally a childhood hero to me in the form of Batman) in a self-ironic role, and edited in a way that it looks like it is one single shot, this film roused my interest both artisticly and in regard of its content. If you can believe the hype, it is a movie full of great performances, fascinating imagery and almost philosophical themes. Award winning and definetly worth being in my top five. I have been so very excited ever since its first trailer.

4. STAR WARS EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS
Alright, alright, keep calm and put down your torches and pitchforks. Yes, Star Wars Episode VII "only" gets the number four spot, but don't think that I am not super excited for it! I'm just a little cautious, because I feel like it is not a guaranteed hit, but trust me, I will be more than happy if it is. With the rights with Disney and J. J. Abrahams at the helm, I have to admit there is a good chance we will get an amazing new entry for the world-wide pop culture phenomenon that is Star Wars. New lightsabers, epic space battles and characters to get to know. Sounds awesome. I will not fail to watch this on the big screen! 

3. JURASSIC WORLD
It seems like dinosaurs haven't found their way into film and television since the 90's, but are they able to make a comeback? I'm certain they are, and that the film to give them their well deserved return to glory will be Jurassic World. As a kid, the original Jurassic Park film was one of the first times that I experienced real movie magic. Years later, the first footage of this new film mixed that nostalgia with my love for monster movies. To me, it had the perfect balance of old and new elements, and its tagline "The park is open" gave me goosebumps. With Chris Pratt as the lead, whom I've enjoyed watching even prior to his recent success, I am eagerly anticipating this films release.

2. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
 I didn't have this film on my radar at all until its trailer dropped at the end of the year. And what a trailer it was! A fascinating color palette, amazing costume design, astonishing action sequences and breath-taking visuals accompanied by music of Giuseppe Verdi. Mad Max: Fury Road seems like the perfect combination of art and entertainment. George Miller, who directed the original trilogy staring Mel Gibson (which I had never watched, but now it is at the top of my to-do-list) is back, with talents like Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult among the cast. I was totally taken by storm, and so I have an extremely good feeling about this one!
...

1. AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON 
The Marvel Cinematic Universe is my personal Holy Grail of Blockbusters and I have watched and loved every single thing they put out there so far, including short-films and television shows. Sure, I enjoyed some more than others, but I'm still a total fanboy, and so the second film in which all of these superheroes team up is my most anticipated one of 2015! I've been wishing to see this movie ever since the end credits of 2012's The Avengers started roling, and I have watched its first official trailer a gazillion times by now. Bringing back our favourite heroes and introducing some new ones, plus a bad-ass villain and Iron Man's famous "Hulkbuster" armor, this movie is going to be a blast for sure! I wouldn't miss it for the world!

So these are the ten films you should definitively look out for this year! It is a great time for cinema, and aside from my top pics presented here, I am sure there are many other good movies coming out as well. Hopefully, I could pass my excitement on to you, and now all that's left for me to say is: Enjoy a ridiculously entertaining 2015!

Your Cinemartian

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen